Kelham Baptist Church started
going to Falls Creek almost from its inception. In 1935 the first
permanent structure was established on the lot donated by Mrs. F.
H. (Flora) Hurst, who was loving referred to as "Mother Hurst."
She joined Kelham from First Baptist, Wichita, KS, in 1931.
Kabin" (where the odd spelling of cabin originated is unknown)
was constructed for $1200. To view the original Committee report
from the church's minutes, click here.
Later, a dining room and fellowship area with kitchen facilities
was added as well as a cook's quarters. At one time during the 1950s,
a "pastor's cabin" was built behind the cabin, but this
was later torn down. Kelham Kabin will sleep about 60 and has smoke
detectors, air conditioning (something the old-timers considered
a luxury), and emergency exits. The cabin and its furnishings are
constantly being evaluated and upgraded as needs require and funds are available.
picture below is of Kelham's campers in 1954.
you identify any of the faces in this picture of
campers from 1969?
One guy on the top row recently became a grandfather. Another teaches
the College-Career Sunday School Class.
who wouldn't recognize the woman in the center row with "big"