Kelham Baptist Church
Kelham Baptist Church began
in December of 1913 on the east
side of Oklahoma City. Sarah Kelham Bath, wife of
real estate developer Vincent Bath, saw the need for a Sunday School
for neighborhood children, and that became Kelham Baptist Church.
1955 with the neighborhoods of Oklahoma City changing and demographics
shifting people and our membership north and west, Kelham moved
from Kelham Avenue to NE 36th and Staton Drive, taking in Park Estates,
a mission of First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City. Several years
before the church moved, it spent almost $250,000 (in 1954 dollars—multiply
by 10!) renovating the faciliities because the pastor believed some
church would be there. Those facilities currently house Avery Chapel,
the late 1960s with neighborhoods again in flux and our members
continuing to move north and west, Kelham moved to the northwest
side of Oklahoma City, in the process taking in the membership of
Utah Avenue Baptist Church. The two structures Kelham constructed
on Staton Drive now house Mount Carmel Baptist Church.
Kelham Baptist Church is a place you can call home. Our music is
traditional (we sing hymns), and our preaching is expositional (we
explain and apply the Bible).